If you know me (Stephanie), you know this- I am the Queen of Lists. How ironic, considering my mother Debora is the Queen of Packing (seriously). Therefore, if you’re going to trust anyone with helping you pack for an important trip, it’s gotta be me. I’ve got your back.
You see, growing up, I took organizing seriously. My clothes drawers were organized in tip-top shape and in my closet my clothes were hung up by color. I even went so far as to fold my underwear….yes, I just said that. Outside the bedroom I was also extremely organized in other aspects of life. My backpack had a specific slot for every single pen, pencil, and notebook. My piano music was organized in a binder with tabs and labels. Most importantly, my planner was organized down to the minute. If I had more than one thing I had “to do”, you better believe I made a to do list for it. There’s something so rewarding about writing down what must be done, doing it without stress, and checking it off the list later. I love lists. They keep my life in order. They decrease my stress levels and make life more sane.
So when it comes to lists, I take them very seriously. And if you were to ask me what my favorite list ever was, I would probably say it was the list I wrote about the qualities I wanted to find in my future husband (which, by the way, God brought me a man who met every single one). But if you were to ask me what my most-utilized list was, I would say my vacation packing list! Hands down. I pull this bad boy out every few months, even for the shortest weekend trip. Some might say it’s me being over-prepared. I say I’d rather be over-prepared than have to inconvenience others to stop at the store and pick-up what I forgot to pack.
Let’s get to it! Below I share The Greatest Packing List of All Time. Keep in mind, some items may not apply to you but I’d rather list out everything and you can decide what you need.
Key: You may want to pack the items in blue in your carry-on if flying (in case luggage gets lost)
The Greatest Packing List of All Time
- Tops: Long sleeve, Short Sleeve, Sleeveless, Blouses
- Bottoms: Pants, Shorts, Jeans
- Skirts/Dresses or Suits/Tuxedo’s (+ties)
- Swimwear: Suits, Cover-ups
- Nightwear: Pajamas, Gowns
- Outerwear: Jackets, Sweaters, Hoodies
- Underwear: Undies, Boxers/Briefs, Bras, Socks (casual/nice)
- Beachy: Sandals, Flip-Flops
- Active: Tennis Shoes, Boots
- Dressy: Heels, Wedges, Dress Shoes
- Lounge shoes: Slippers
- Cold Weather: Scarves, Beanies, Gloves, Ear Muffs
- Warm Weather: Hats, Sunglasses
- Rainy Weather: Umbrella, Rain Coat
- Glasses (+case)
- Money: Purse, Wallet (w/ cards, cash, license) *make copies of these in case they get lost
- Jewelry/Watches (keep expensive pieces on you)
- First Aid Kit
- Sewing Kit
- Luggage Locks
- Luggage Tags
- Dirty Laundry Bag
- Jewelry Bag/Holder
- Ziplock bags
- Eye Mask
- Neck Pillow
- Ear plugs
- Empty Water Bottle (to fill at the airport)
- Lysol Wipes
- Emergency Pills (for headaches, pain, stomach ache, etc)
- Passport / Visa
- Travel Itinerary
- Confirmation/Reservation Details
- Paper & Pen (or Stuff to Work on)
- Travel Insurance
- Phone + charger
- Computer/Laptop + charger
- Other Devices: iPad, iPod, Kindle + charger
- Camera + charger (Selfie Stick)
- Converters/Adapters (if traveling internationally)
- Makeup (this list is endless…) & Makeup Remover
- Small Compact Mirror
- Hair Tools: Straightener, Curler, Blow Dryer, Brush/Comb
- Bathing: Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Wash, Soap
- Razor + Shaving Cream
- Dental: Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Floss, Mouthwash
- Hair: Hairspray, Gel, Hair Ties, Bobby Pins, Clips
- Moisturize: Body Lotion, Face Lotion
- Fragrance: Deodorant, Perfume/Cologne
- Vision: Eye drops, Contacts (+ Solution)
- Sunblock or Insect Repellent
- Q-Tips, Cotton Pads, Wipes
- Tweezers, Scissors
- Nail Care: Clippers, File
- Stain Remover
- Lint Roller
Want the list above in document form so you can save or print it? Click the image below & subscribe to receive it in your inbox.
More Packing List Reads from our Blogging Friends:
- If you are someone who likes to read while traveling on a plane or train, checkout 9 recommended books to read while traveling.
- If you’re going on a long term trip for months at a time, learn exactly what you need to bring for long term travel.
What kind of person would I be if I didn’t share some of my secret packing tips too?
Here are our Secret Packing Tips
- Put a few dryer sheets inside your luggage to keep everything smelling good
- When choosing clothes, keep it simple. Stick with color tones that you can mix and match. For example, I usually choose blacks and whites because I can make tons of outfits with those pairings. Whereas if I packed bright green pants, I’d have less to match that.
- Fold your necklaces between Press & Seal so they don’t tangle
- Anything that could spill or leak, wrap in Press&Seal and put in a Ziplock
- To condense space, fill things that are empty space. For example, stuff your shoes with things.
- When packing clothes, roll them up so they take up less space and don’t get as wrinkled.
- Pack clothes and lighter items in the top of the suitcase and heavier items like shoes in the bottom of the suitcase. That way when you stand it up, things are less likely to shift around.
- Consider using packing cubes to organize things and keep items separate in your luggage. Like the ones we shared in our SHOP.
- Don’t forget to save a little space in your luggage for if you purchase anything while you’re on your trip!
*BONUS*: Checkout our SHOP to see some of our favorite luggage and travel accessories that we can’t leave home without. All available on Amazon.
FOLLOW OUR TRAVELS ON IG!
Ready to book your trip?